5 Remarkable Benefits of Walking.

Autumn is approaching, and this is my favourite season to go walking. I love the scenery during Autumn, with the assorted golden leaves and duskier nights. I am fortunate to live near several gorgeous country parks, which I enjoy walking my dog in. I prefer walking alone, and unwinding to some music. You may prefer to join a walking group, and meet new people. Glasgow Ramblers is a friendly walking group for people of all ages who enjoy walking in the countryside or the city. I went a lovely walk this evening with my dog, and this got me thinking about sharing with you some of the benefits of walking; I hope you find interesting.

1. Boosts immune function. Walking can help protect you during the cold and flu season. A study taken of over 1,000 men and women found that those who walked at least 20 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, had 43% fewer sick days than those who exercised once a week or less. And those who walked more and did get sick – was for a shorter duration, and their symptoms were milder.
  2. Improves mental health, and well-being. Walking improves self-perception, self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and reduces stress, anxiety and fatigue. Physically active people have up to a 30% reduced risk of becoming depressed, and staying active helps those who are depressed recover.
  3. It can help you lose weight. Walking is a free and effective way to help you become more active, and lose weight. Walking can tone up legs, bums and tums – pay attention to your posture and you can also tone your abs and waist. I like to wear my Fitbit, and aim towards 10,000 steps a day. Try and make walking a part of your everyday routine.
  4. You’ll Live Longer. A study carried out by the University of Cambridge concluded that a brisk 20-minute walk each day, could be enough to reduce risk of early death by up to a third. The research found that people who moderately increased their physical activity could see significant health benefits. A 30-minute stroll helps lower blood pressure, which in turn reduces the risk of a heart attack and other cardiovascular events, and reduces the risk of a stroke by 27 percent.
  5. Can help produce vitamin D. Walking in the morning is a fantastic opportunity for your body to produce vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential for bone strength, and helps prevent cancer and multiple sclerosis.

Some Pictures of my evening walk.

27 Comments Add yours

1. kenz says:

Absolutely love this!

Liked by 3 people

2. Kev says:

I agree with all of this. I often walk to and from work, about 3 miles each way, and I feel a lot of benefit from it. It’s not particularly scenic, though, but it’ll do.

Liked by 2 people

3. Wow! beautiful pictures. I love autumn too, beautiful and gentle like the breeze😊

Liked by 2 people

4. Angie says:

My favorite season for being outside too!

Liked by 2 people

5. TCast says:

I try to walk whenever I can! Especially with the beautiful scenery and the ducks which are around my area.

Liked by 2 people

6. da-AL says:

Tx for the very cute motivation 🙂

7. Plum Pudding says:

love a good walk. its definitely what settles me

8. Over Soil says:

Several of the things on the list goes for those who are in wheelchairs too. Even if they cannot propel themselves the “walk” can still improve mental health and well-being, and help gather some vitamin D.

9. Sheree says:

I love this time of year too for walking. Thanks for reminding me of the benefits

10. Sheree says:

Sharing with our community now, if that’s okay with you 🤗

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you for reading, and sharing.

11. Amy Louise says:

I used to hate walking but now as I’m in my 30’s I love going for afternoon walks especially this time of year.

12. Melissa says:

I love a good walk. It always feels so therapeutic and is a wonderful moment to appreciate the lovely things around you. I really like this post and that you’re out enjoying and appreciating the walk, and sharing all of the benefits with us. Thank you!

13. Robyn Evans says:

I never knew walking helped generate Vitamin D! Cool!

14. Geraldine says:

Some good reminders, I love walking, even indoors!😊

Liked by 1 person

15. I also love a good walk. Beautiful pic. I really enjoy your blog.

16. HI Katie Ann,
    Really interesting and useful blog. I am setting up a walking group on Skye when I return from my holidays at the end of October. Walking is so good for us all.
    Thanks Sue

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, that sounds really interesting. I know someone in Skye, that may be interested in joining.

17. federica-m says:

Love, love, love! Walking is the only sport which fits me, I love it and it’s nice to read that it brings so many benefits!

Federica | https://bitsoflifestyle.wordpress.com/

18. tailoredyarn says:

Great article! I completely agree that walking has a huge number of health benefits. Thanks for following my blog. I’m glad I’ve found yours.

Liked by 1 person

19. Nice photos and I love walking this time of the year.

20. Jenson says:

Love this. Simplest form of body movement

21. lfish64 says:

I love walking, some days I walk as much as 30-40,000 steps.

Great words to live by.

22. JOY journal says:

I walked six miles yesterday! 🙂 It’s just part of my life.

Liked by 2 people

23. Kitty Jade says:

I really love going for a walk after school! Most days I manage to fit it in but sometimes I have so much homework that the walk wouldn’t be relaxing at all – all I’d be thinking about would be getting my homework done 😊